Ticks are skin parasites that feed on the blood of their hosts. Ticks like motion, warm temperatures from body heat, and the carbon dioxide exhaled by mammals, which is why they are attracted to such hosts as dogs, cats, rodents, rabbits, cattle, small mammals, etc. The bite itself is not usually painful, but the parasite can transmit diseases and cause tick paralysis, which is why tick control is so important.
As we enter prime tick season (November through January in this area), we want to be sure you know about the best ways to control them.
Pesticidal control of ticks may require both treatment of the pet and treatment of the infested area. If a heavy tick infestation occurs it is necessary to treat pets, home, and yard at the same time. Established brown dog tick infestations of homes and yards are frequently difficult to control and it takes time. You are in for a battle.
Bravecto is a great solution for this tough problem. Bravecto is a tasty oral chew that gives your dog up to 12 weeks of protection against fleas and ticks. It provides broad-spectrum and long-lasting protection which starts killing fleas within 2 hours and treats and controls 4 tick species (Black-Legged Ticks, American Dog Ticks, Brown Dog Ticks, and Lone Star Ticks).
- A single oral dose every 12 weeks- administered with food
- A tasty chew dogs find palatable
- Fewer doses mean fewer chances to miss a dose
- No need to isolate treated pet
- Washing, swimming, and grooming do not affect efficacy
- Safe for use in adult dogs and puppies 6 months or older weighing 4.4 pounds or greater
- Can be used in breeding, pregnant, or lactating female dogs.
If your dog is at risk for ticks, now is the time to start with your tick prevention measures.
Bravecto will soon be available for our felines as a topical product. Stay tuned!