Oral disease is the #1 health problem diagnosed in dogs and cats. You can help keep your pet’s teeth strong and healthy at home – and positively impact their overall health – with these tips for home dental care and pet tooth brushing.
Following a consistent dental home care program will safeguard your pet’s dental health and result in fewer professional dental cleanings, reduce tooth loss and dental disease, and a happier, healthier pet.
- Start brushing their teeth as soon as possible – 8-12 weeks old is best. If you brush every day, your pet will become familiar with the routine when their permanent teeth erupt.
- Work with your pet’s mouth. Be patient and make it fun. Use love and praise, and try to practice at the same time each day to establish a routine.
- Choose a quiet time, such as late in the evening, or if you pet is motivated by food, try just before dinner so your pet will be rewarded for cooperation.
- Handle the muzzle and touch your pet’s lips and work up to rubbing the gums with your finger. Put a few drops of low sodium beef broth, or for cats, tuna juice on your finger, and then work up to chicken or tuna flavored veterinary toothpaste on your finger.
- Finally, use a finger brush or a soft veterinary or human toothbrush to brush the teeth. Hold the brush at a 45-degree angle to the teeth and brush gently back and forth or in a circular pattern from gum to the tip of the tooth. Offer rewards and treats when your pet allows you to brush to keep it a positive experience.
- Consider other dental aids. We have a large selection of dental chews, wipes, toothbrushes, pastes, and brushing kits right here in our pharmacy!
For dogs –
C.E.T Chews in a variety of sizes $21-33
C.E.T Veggiedent Chews $30-34
DentAcetic Wipes – $20
CET Toothpaste $16
Vetoquinol Toothbrush kit $21
Prescription Diet Canine t/d original & small bites – $34-103 (depends on bag size)
*We do not recommend very hard treats such as bones, hooves and antlers because dogs may break their teeth on them.
For cats –
CET Cat Toothbrush + paste $10
DentAcetic Wipes – $20
Vetoquinol Toothbrush kit for cats $19
Prescription Diet Feline t/d $31-60
For a more extensive list of approved products, consider visiting the Veterinary Oral Health Council (VOHC) http://www.vohc.org/all_accepted_products.html