National Cat Day on October 29th is the purrfect day to give extra attention to your feline friends.
Cats make excellent companions. They rarely miss you, but when they do, you sure know it. Awareness days such as this one urge pet lovers to adopt from a local shelter. The day also reminds us that neutering and spaying our furry companions helps reduce the abandoned population.
Shelters are full of cats and kittens in need of forever homes. These feline fur babies come with as many personalities as they do colors and coats. They curl into our hearts and will just as quickly remind us they decide who they love. Whether they were born in the shelter, surrendered or abandoned, 3.4 million find their way to a shelter.
When considering the adoption of a furbaby, take your time. Each shelter animal will touch your heart, so be sure to find a life-long love.
- Consider your lifestyle. Will you have time for an active kitten or will an adult cat be more to your pace?
- Make multiple visits before making a choice. Sometimes, the purrfect cat will choose you.
- Spend one-on-one time with the cat so you have some bonding meowments and her true personality comes through.
- Do other members of your fur family need to be considered? If so, be sure to introduce them to be sure their personalities mesh.
- When you bring your new family member home, have a space ready for him to decompress and adjust to his new home. Don’t be surprised if he hides at first. This is normal cat behavior.