As dogs age, they undergo specific internal and external changes. Some are obvious, such as greying fur or weight gain. Others may be harder to spot, such as slower metabolism or decreased immune function. By the time your dog is a senior, one of these key changes is a new set of nutritional requirements.
For example, a healthy senior dog requires higher quality protein levels in his food than a younger adult dog. For various reasons such as dental disease and other medical reasons, seniors may also have less ability to digest and absorb nutrients from food, while at the same time needing less energy from their diet. Fat is calorie dense, so if your dog’s energy needs decrease, his need for fat will decline, too. However, not every dog is fat. Portion control and regular controlled activity and exercise are also keys to weight control (as in people).
In other words, once your dog hits the senior years, you might want to take a fresh look at his diet. But how do you know when your dog should be considered a senior? On average, 9 years for a cat, and for a dog, it may be as young as 6 years or as old as 9 years, depending on their size.
Some of the diets and supplements we recommend include:
- Science Diet Canine/Feline Senior Diets – Contains Omega-3s from fish oil for healthy joints & mobility, balanced minerals for heart, kidney & bladder health, nourishing Omega-6 & Vitamin E blend for healthy skin & luxurious coat, and mini antioxidant blend for lifelong immune support.
- GLYCOFLEX for dogs – a glucosamine and chondroitin supplement recommended for joint support in senior and working dogs and as a follow-up to support normal recovery after orthopedic surgery.
- Cosequin for Cats – recommended feline joint health supplement brand. Contains Glucosamine Hydrochloride and Sodium Chondroitin Sulfate in a convenient sprinkle capsule.
- Dasuquin for Dogs – Helps support cartilage matrix production, inhibit cartilage breakdown and support joint comfort. Contains glucosamine, chondroitin and Avocado/Soybean Unsaponifiables which work together to support cartilage.
- Missing Link Plus – This powerful, powdered superfood supplement is chock full of joint and bone health supporting glucosamine, is formulated to achieve the optimum balance of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, plus it has dietary fiber and phytonutrients to support your pet’s digestive system and overall health and happiness.